Posted on July 22, 2020 by Apeksha Khanna | Blog | Total Hits:
Over the decade, Smartphones has revolutionized all walks of life. It has gone beyond how we communicate. Besides calling and texting, people use smartphones for education and productivity purposes. Supporting technologies like 5G networks and Mobile Apps have amplified its usage. Smartphone technology has yielded so many benefits that no sector is left who have not disrupted this technology.
The education sector is no exception.
The mobile app technology has made education so widely accessible that not just schools and institutions using it, but also big businesses at large as 80% have adopted it to help professionals in upskilling their fields.
The education technology has gained large attention that it is turning out to be a lucrative business niche for both entrepreneurs and app developers. If we look at the research reports, it states that the global educational app market will witness a growth rate of CAGR about 26% during 2020-2024.
At the same time, it is reported that 70% of student in various higher education institutions will take an online course this year.
Besides Biggest players like Coursera, eDX who continue to spread their EdTech space with rising demand, there is still room for improvement and new ideas. So, if you have a great app idea and you are willing to put it in the market, then you are on the right page.
But, if you are still looking for opportunities in this domain, then check out Top 20 Educational App Ideas For Institutions And EdTech Startups
Benefits of Education App Development
Educational Apps are becoming popular among students and professionals. Here are a few reasons explaining why:
1. Learning on the go: Unlike classroom teachings, Learning apps are convenient and can be used by anyone in transit or at a place at all times. The educational app provides users with the opportunity to learn any subject and upskills themselves as per their convenient schedules. So, when you develop an educational app, you empower the audience to access information even living in remote areas.
2. Unlimited Resources: Educational App lets users sitting in remote areas learn topics by the teachers delivering it on another end of the city. Users get access to unlimited tutorials and materials of top universities. So, the educational app sets no boundaries on the right to education. If you develop a learning app you are contributing to society.
3. Efficiency: High technologies expand opportunities to obtain knowledge. It uplifts society and serves the cause.
4. Time-Saving: Commuting daily to attend classes in a set structure was hard for many. Education apps have let users plan their day and set off schedules for learning topics. Education apps are popular among business professionals as it let them learn anytime and anywhere.
5. Engagement: Educational Apps have wide informative content by universities, schools and institutions. Apart from this, learning apps are designed in a way that enhances student engagement and makes learning fun.
6. Innovative teaching methods: Unlike the traditional method that’s mostly restricted to classical methods of teaching, education apps simulates new ways of teaching to the student. They could use games, simulations, conferences and other interesting methods to deliver content.
7. Productivity Tracking: Educational app development allows the students, teachers or businesses to track each participant’s progress, identifying strengths and weaknesses. The course is then tailored to help them learn better. The result will eliminate the occurrence of gaps in learning.
Types of Educational Apps
Before you think to start off the education app development you need to know the types of learning apps that are most in-demand:
1. Apps for apprenticeship courses
Coursera, eDX, Linkedin Learning falls in this category. Educational App like Coursera incorporates certificate training courses that let users gain a specific skill. This program provides students with the possibility of additional independent learning through an app. These courses do not fall into schools and universities curriculum. In fact, it provides additional knowledge to students. These apps are largely used by professionals and budding professionals.
2. Educational Apps for Kids
These applications are developed to simplify learning for kids. These apps are designed to improve visual learning that keep children stick to the topic. This may include lots of colours, songs, and rhymes, and games. These apps are for small kids between 0-12 years of age. Learning apps help kids learn better and make them intrigued about education.
3. Education Apps for Exams
These apps help students prepare better for entrance exams. The app content is defined on the curriculum of Entrance Exams like CAT, GMAT, aviation aptitudes etc. The content incorporates curricula, useful tips, and mock papers, and frequently asked questions about the exam. Exam apps let users practice and prepare for exams.
4. Informative Apps
Informative apps contain informative content on several topics that can be accessed by anyone. This could be in the form of audio, video or plain text. Examples include Dictionaries, Wikipedias, Novels etc. These apps could be free or paid.
5. Apps for Teachers
These apps assist teachers in simplifying and passing information to their learners. The app offers Teachers to create content online in the form of quizzes, tutorials and curriculum boards. Besides, it also allows teachers to mark attendance, take tests, mark score, create student performance report, and create an improvement plan for students. All in all, it serves every aspect in which teachers are day to day involved.
Must have Education app features
Let’s suppose you have decided the type of app you want to develop. The next crucial thing would be to consider its features and functionalities. It will solve the purpose of users and will enhance their app experience.
The features vary depending on the type of the app and problem you are looking to solve. But below features are genric and are implemented in every learning app:
1. User profile. Every user of your application must have his profile, where data on him, his completed topics and his success in learning will be stored.
2. Social networks integration. Users like to share their knowledge with their friends, colleagues and team. At times, they also need to share their certifications on business platforms like Linkedin for job hunting. So, social media integration let them do it. Apart from the share-oriented purpose, social media integration let users log in to their account easily.
3. Push Notifications. This is another mandatory feature of any mobile app. Push notifications keep the user updated about their progress, remind them of the uncompleted task and a new course upload. It increases the user engagement factor.
4. Feedback. Reviews at times are negative, but they are also a great way to improve your app in accordance with what users need from you. Reviews also help other customers decide whether they would opt for your services or not. So make sure you offer the best.
5. In-app Scheduling. The most effective feature of education app is scheduling time to take classes. This help students not to break the learning process and attend sessions even for half an hour. This help learners to build a habit and gradually make them improve. Furthermore, user take can track their progress.
6. Content Searches. The feature will help the user navigate within the application to easily find the information they are looking for without unnecessary efforts. And the quicker the user gets the ideal outcome, the better the odds that he’ll keep using your learning application.
7. Analytics of learning progress. The feature provide an in-depth report of user started topics, learning progress and completed certifications. The Learning chart keeps them motivated to complete small education task.
8. Offline mode. A lot of apps does not offer this feature but it is important to provide content in offline mode. At times, people face frequent disconnections or at a place with no connectivity. So, this feature eliminate any dependency on the network and let user save the courses which they want to learn. Offline mode is most common in dictionaries but it must be included in all types of educational apps.
Useful tips on Education App Development
Merely developing an app will not guarantee your app success. There are aspects more to it.
We’d like to give you some useful tips:
1. use real teaching methods. Offer rich content and imbibe engaging teaching methods like tutorials, quizzes in your app. Remember, the main purpose of your app is to provide education to your users. If it is not efficient, people will abandon your app.
2. Include game elements. Your app should find ways to make learning interesting. One way is to include gaming elements like Quizzes, Buzzer mode, Multiple choices. The gaming elements use a scoreboard that pushes users to learn better. Game elements are a must for elementary kids.
3. user-friendly interface. User Interface decides whether the user will stick to your app or uninstall it. The simple, nicer and clear the UI, the better the user stickiness. Great UI makes it easy for users to understand and use your app. And again, when it comes to children, the simplicity of design is supreme.
4. Compatibility with different devices. You don’t know which platform or device your customer is using to access your app. So you must make your app compatible for all devices. If you don’t have a development team who can make your app supportive to all devices, then hire an Education App Development team.
5. use bright graphics, widgets and interesting sounds. Include eye-catching illustrations and interesting sounds to make the user more and more use your app. Dull graphics turn down users and also make learning boring. While bright graphics are visually appealing and make the user stick to the app. At the same time, ensure that the sound effect can be turned off to meet the needs of all customers.
6. Offer Freemium plans. Freemium plans offer basic services for free and advance options for paid. This monetization method serves all customers who wish to only use free versions or paid versions.
7. Create your own Features. Following your competitor is good as long as it is only to be aware of the market trends. After that, you need to create a unique set of features to serve your audience. Your unique features give the audience a reason to switch to your product.
Cost of Developing an Educational App
The cost of Education app development depends upon the time it takes to complete the development. There are other factors also which make to the cost. It includes your app features, the complexity of design and method of development (MVP or Agile or complete app). Our developer fee is $20-$30. Again, the rate depends on how complex your app is and how long will it take to complete.
Security and third-party APIs also sometimes add to the cost. So, it would better that you contact our developers and request a proposal to get a clear development cost.