Google’s Flutter, a power-packed open-source software development kit named Flutter for developing cross-platform apps has outgrown some popular Hybrid frameworks making it the leading App Development framework. Google Flutter is based on programming language Dart, that allows to develop web & mobile apps server, and utilities for IoT devices. Google’s great SDK support, its long list of amazing features and cross-platform performance added value that has made developers switch or adopt Flutter in App development. A few Premier brands have tried and trusted Flutter in their complex Apps like Alibaba, Google Ads, Reflectly et al. The framework can efficiently work on multiple platforms like iOS, Android, and Mac to name a few, makes it an ideal option for mobile app development.
Let’s discuss Flutter in detail for Mobile App Development.
Reasons to choose Flutter
1. Performance on cross-platform. Apps developed with the use of the Flutter provides optimal performance than that of React native. It is built on C++, C, Skia and Dart to give native and higher experience.
2. Based on Dart. Dart is quite a performant language. Developers who have hands-on writing code for Java and C# can easily learn and code using Dart. Darts provide rich tooling support and make app development faster and productive.
3. Easy Setup. Flutter as a product of Google provides great support from setting up to building an app. Flutter comes with a large number of ready-to-use widgets, implements the material design concepts, which is fairly good to get started. Flutter’s documentation is comprehensive and simple that makes it easy to understand.
4. Need to code once. This gets brownie points. Apps developed using Flutter uses a single language (Dart) does not require to maintain two files separate for iOS and Android, and can be reused. As coding is done once for both the platforms, it is easy to include only the features that you think are the most important and unique. Once the early adopters/ Audience start installing your app, you can add features as per the market analysis.
5. Hot Reload. With the Hot Reload feature, Flutter developers can quickly check the output for the changes made in real-time. This feature makes it easy for developers to experiment with UI, images, adding features, and fixing bugs in the code. Apps developed with Flutter are delivered in relatively shorter time in comparison with other frameworks.
6. Cross-Platform Development. Though being a cross-platform SDK, Flutter gives a native-like experience on both Android and iOS. Flutter eliminates the need for having multiple frameworks for multiple platforms to give a rich user experience.
Flutter compared with other Frameworks
Flutter vs React Native
As per Google Trends Worldwide report of the past 12 months, Flutter has been giving fierce competition to React Native. Although Flutter is still a very young technology, it has already made a name for itself in the mobile application development world.
Flutter leaves out the need for the separation of templates, style or data. Instead, it enables developers to code everything from one central location. While in case of react native, developers need to use third party libraries to build the app.
Flutter vs Iconic
Flutter and Ionic primarily focus on building UI framework for high performing applications. Both SDK provides native-like experience to app users. When it comes to deploying your app across mobile and desktop, both flutter and iconic equally great mobile application experience. while in case of desktop or web development, iconic is a better option for its smooth and easy development. One of the things for which developers choose Flutter over iconic is its mobile performance. Iconic uses web technologies to render an application, this approach decreases the speed and performance of the app. Flutter is a great fit for aggressive animations as it comes with a library with massive design catalogues.
Flutter vs Xamarian
Flutter is open-source and free. Xamarin is open-source and paid for commercial development. Flutter allows building high-level performance apps that are almost like native ones. Xamarin app’s performance is close to native too. With Xamarin.Forms, however, your app will show a touch of performance decline due to the additional abstraction layer. Compiling with Flutter is super fast and easy. the hot reload feature enables quick and easy app release.
Since Xamarin is that the oldest cross-platform mobile development framework, it’s community is much bigger than Flutter. Flutter being new is the fastest growing platform over React and Xamarian. Xamarin isn’t suitable for creating apps with heavy graphic. While flutter copes with complex visuals better, widely used for game development.
Flutter App Development Cost
The cost of Flutter App development vary from company to company but below factors are common in development:
UI/UX design Everybody wants to have access to information that is quick and is easy to understand. UX design focuses on creating an application wireframe and structuring all its elements to create the user flow. UI design focuses on how the app looks. You want a basic design, want to follow Minimum viable product methodology (you input only the features that you think are the most important and unique.), Polished ( want to launch a full-furnished app in the market that has all features you listed).
Development Time The cost is determined by the number of hours taken to develop the application upon the platform. the more the time taken, the more will be the cost. As flutter uses single code, the complex applications are developed in less time, in 2-3 months.
Backend Server The server cost used to host and support the application to function and thus to work upon the purpose to be served. The server needs to be strong and powerful enough to tackle the operations and the data stored in the platform.
Licensing and content protection Protection against Insecure data storage and data transmitting is taken care of by limiting content access and usability with a license. Companies sign NDA( Non-disclosure Agreement) with Development team for the protection of idea and source code.
Is flutter the future of Mobile App Development 2020?
The future needs something with capabilities like cross-platform development, but with the strength and support like native app development. Flutter is quite new in the market and has gained quite a limelight after Google announced the availability of its new stable build, Flutter 1.7 in May 2019. Though it has quite an amazing performance when compared with other cross-platform frameworks, it still lacks the functionality to beat native apps. The continuous efforts of the community are being made to polish the framework and make it more useful to the community. Flutter has linked up developments to take place in 2020 like app development using embedded technology, making desktop development more feasible and rich in interfaces. Above that Flutter has some plus over other platforms and native apps -its amazing UI, affordable development cost, good for MVP and great support from google.
All in all, Flutter for mobile app development platform a viable option for not only organizations looking for one-time app development, but also eCommerce businesses, tech firms, startups, and individual developers.